Enrol
Menu
Enrol

Sophia Morgan's out-of-this-world experience at CASE International Space School

Toorak College
Apr 16, 2019 1:20:55 PM

Blog featured image (31)

Sophia Morgan (Year 10) recently attended the CASE Space School International Study Program in Texas and Alabama, taking part in a two-week fully immersive STEM experience. We caught up with Sophia to hear all about her story.

What inspired you to attend the CASE Space program?

"I have always been fascinated with science and when I found out about the CASE Space Program, it seemed like such a great opportunity. My parents were very supportive of me taking part in the camp and I felt encouraged to take on the challenge."

Can you tell us a little bit about what you did during your time at CASE Space?

"We collaborated in groups of 20 on a range of different activities, including simulated missions, coding and astronaut training techniques. The aims of these collaborations were to establish team building skills and to strengthen relationships with one another while improving in our own personal growth."

What were some of your key learnings that you took away from this experience?

"Teamwork was an essential part of the CASE Space Program and working with a group of people who I had never met before was an exciting challenge. The activities that I participated in encouraged me to think critically, problem solve and be proactive in a fast paced, constantly changing environment."

On a personal level, what was the best part of this opportunity?

"I feel very fortunate to have travelled so far away from home on my own and to meet new people along the way. It has given me a great sense of independence. When I returned, I shared my experience at Senior School assembly, which I believe inspired others to consider exploring this venture. It was great to see many students interested in the program."

How has your experience impacted your study at Toorak College? What options do you see for your future pathway?

"Seeing women working in the STEM field was one of the most inspirational aspects of the CASE Space Program. I had the opportunity to hear from female astronauts, lab technicians and researchers, which motivated me to continue to pursue areas of study in the STEM field. This experience really opened my eyes to all the possible career pathways available in STEM. I have always had a passion for learning more about space and would love to learn more about astrophysics in my future."

What would you say to any students thinking of signing up for this opportunity?

"This was such an incredible experience that I could not recommend enough if you are passionate about science and space and are willing to immerse yourself into a STEM experience. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that could influence where your pathway takes you in life."

Download Senior School Student Experience Brochure

Discover our new Science and Technology Centre

You May Also Like

These Stories on STEM

Subscribe to the Toorak Blog

No Comments Yet

Let us know what you think